Due to these unique circumstances, the following changes to the section election guidelines within the Field Operations Guide have been authorized by the National OA Director for 2020 only.
- In the event of a postponed conclave, section officer elections are to be delayed to the date of the rescheduled conclave. This means that current section officers would serve for a term longer than 12 months.
- If a current section officer(s) reaches the age of 21 before the rescheduled conclave, a COC meeting should be convened before that officer(s) reaches the age of 21 for the purpose of electing a replacement officer who will serve from the date of the election until the rescheduled conclave. This COC should be conducted via phone or video conferencing due to the COVID-19 situation. This special COC election for the replacement officer(s) should be conducted in accordance with paragraph E of page 17 of the Field Operations Guide which describes filling vacancies in unexpired officer terms and whereby each council’s lodge in the section in good standing receives one vote. The officer(s) that is aging out should be encouraged to stay involved as the planning continues for a rescheduled conclave.
- For all 2020 in-person conclaves, the Field Operation Guide (FOG) Rule IV-C shall be followed for Section elections.
Items 4 – 7 – apply to elections not held at an in-person Conclave.
- If no conclave is scheduled, a special Section General Business Meeting shall be held virtually to conduct your Section Elections for your 2020-2021 Officers, within 30 days of the decision to not hold an in-person conclave.
- If a virtual conclave is scheduled, a special Section General Business Meeting shall be held as part of the virtual conclave.
- In either case, this meeting will be available (virtually) to all members of the lodges in the section (only youth members can vote).
- The election procedure for this meeting should follow the process outlined in paragraph C on page 17 of the Field Operations Guide, which describes the standard method to elect section officers. The requirement, stated in the FOG, stipulating one youth member to be present at the time of the election for each vote (up to ten), is waived. Each council’s lodge in the section, in good standing, shall receive ten votes to cast by the designated youth representative. This youth representative should poll the other youth lodge members present to determine how to cast their votes. The newly elected officers’ terms shall go through to the following year’s Conclave, 2021.